PHN Research Agenda

20 April 2010

4 hours and counting

This morning I set out to work 4 hours from 7am to 11, but it end up being closer to noon.  I stream radio when I start work, pause when I get up (bathroom, tea, stretch, check Blog or Facebook), and resume the clock and stream when I resume work.  All those little "breaks" take a huge chuck out of a work day.  Still, the 4 hours were productive, resulting in small progress on the AHRQ conference grant.

Now, I need to shower, pack and hit the road barely ahead of rush hour traffic headed out of Chicago. I'm off to see, not the Wizard, but two of the local health departments that participating in my KRISP grant.  Tomorrow will be heavy "This is public health."  I still need to work on the ppt presentation for the 8:30am meeting. I also need to choose a  few handouts for the meetings.  I'll do that in the shower.

It's a long drive for two short meetings, which are a 30 minute drive from each other. Sometimes, physical presence is required to nudge things along and lend credibility to the project. I'm not complaining. On the drive down to Peoria, I'll be rehearing what I'll say, strategizing how best to get buy-in from all the nursing staff, and thinking about manuscripts that can come from this. Car time is not for books-on-tape, not when it's work travel. The clock will be ticking; thinking and driving does count as multitasking.

No comments: