PHN Research Agenda

01 May 2010

Last Class

Every semester ends. Some have easier, simpler, more gratifying ends than others. This semester ends on a high note: one doctoral student finished and who will be hooded next week, one master's student overcame a huge hump toward completion of her essay, and a class with students who praised the course as meeting their needs. A faculty member can't ask for much more.

The final assignment of the course was for the student to give a brief book report on the biography or autobiography of a scientist . I saw two themes across the lives: following passion and intuition is linked to success, and personalities can affect the level of recognition received. Both lessons relevant to yesterday...

The rest of the day was taken up with telephone meetings, in-person planning, and email. As I was packing up my briefcase with work for the weekend, I looked over the to-do list. And, felt disappointed in myself. I could not cross one item.  Yet, I has spent the full 8 hours at task. Things come up. I've learned that it's easier to get it done just then. Once it's on the to-do list, it could be weeks.

And were was the public health part today?  One of the calls was with one of the local health departments participating in my intervention project. We talked about the workforce needs and how we might best address them. Quality improvement is the new focus and requires that everyone in the health departments learn new skills and change attitudes  about change. It was the type of conversation that helps me stay connected to the real, the daily, the practice. And, challenges me to find ways to make useful, little-by-little changes.

No comments: