PHN Research Agenda

29 April 2010

Working from home: Luxury or not

Today I worked from home, spending time on email, revising a manuscript, working on reports, and reading student papers. It felt like a luxury to not be in office clothes (aka in a bathrobe) and staring out the window at my backyard. For the past 6 months I needed to be in the office every day for grant related activities, school meetings, or student advising. Most of my fellow faculty have regularly scheduled days for working at home. So, if I gleefully said to them I got to work at home, they'd have a puzzled look.

It ought to be a win-win; the university saves on office lights and computer electricity, and I save on commuting to the office. But, it's more complicated than that. I lose on my electricity bill and the lack of comradary. There are other losses for the university, and the need to have polices for working from home.  Nonetheless, I feel fortunate to have a job that makes it possible to work from home. Flexibility is a good thing.

On a more intellectual note ~ the theme for the day was publishing, peer reviews, and editing. The debate on the value of peer reviewing is alive and well, with science being generated on the topic. Seems tautological, but then...

No comments: