PHN Research Agenda

05 June 2010

Quasi-vacation

While traveling to visit family, I did pretty good at not looking at email or doing work. There were a few days when I had time before or after dinner to do a little work. Very little work. And, boy, did it feel good to not feel the pressure to be on-call 24-7. We don't normally think of professors as working 24-7, but with email and internet access that has become the expectation. I can't say that it's healthy; I haven't done the literature search to find research to support that assumption. (Yep, that's really how we think.)

But, I can say that I experienced relief and a freedom of attention to focus on the fog rolling over the hills, the birds singing, and our family closeness.  I had time to feel blessed by having a family with good health (except for the very elderly family members), good manners, and good spirits.

No comments: