PHN Research Agenda

23 March 2011

Spring break, coffee break

Spring break week means quieter hallways, more closed faculty office doors, and less traffic. Some faculty actually take a break from being on campus, although few actually stop working. We still answer email, work on manuscripts and prepare for the next class. For me, spring break means nothing more than fewer students in the hallway and no faculty meetings. I just can't get into the spirit of not working in the middle of the semester. After all, I am paid to work spring break.

For a few students, spring break is a time to get ahead on RA hours in anticipation of a hellish finals week. For a few other students, spring break is a time to get involved and manifest the best of the Millennial Generation characteristics ~ service and social justice. I have two students who are on a trip to Haiti with a group led by a College of Medicine faculty. They are going to do a community assessment of needs. They are paying their own expenses and taking their enthusiasm for making a difference to a place in need of energy, commitment, and enthusiasm. They represent the best of the Millennial character.

Meanwhile, back in Chicago, I struggle to decipher the meaning of clinging to the coffee cup in the classroom. Somehow, a conversation veered to the topic of coffee in the classroom. A student was complaining about the ants that immediate surround her cup. I complained about the distraction of coffee drinking while teaching. Not long ago, I mildly chastised a faculty for taking coffee and food to each of his morning classes, arguing we are not servants or restaurants. (Maybe we ARE more like chefs than I want to admit.) Why does the collective we need to bring coffee wherever we go? Does it signify informality? Addiction? Insecurity? Non-respect? Individuality? Sleep deprivation?

I'd say that I need a coffee break, but, in daily life today, that no longer exists. Demarcations between work, play, break are  faded, like old white car lane lines. I have no crystal ball (only a 9 ball) to tell me the future. Thinking of the students taking their spring break to work in Haiti, I see a future that looks promising and positive, if not caffeinated.

No comments: