PHN Research Agenda

26 November 2010

Not bragging but...

One of the obligatory and fun APHA activities is going through the exhibit hall. Comfortable shoes and stamina required for the miles of walking on the cement floor. Walking up and down the aisles, eying the competition for students, glancing into NASA's trailer which looks galaxies removed from a typical public health scene, searching for the latest in condom colors (this year was condom-sparse), bacteria themed neck ties (really, who wears those?) and interesting reads whether it's a textbook for students, a textbook for me, or book for some lateral thinking.

Naturally, I make the rounds to chat up my publishers.  Lippincott Wolters Klewer (aka LWW) to check that they had brought copies of Health Care Management Review, the journal for which I am the Editor-in-Chief. By the time I had gotten to that booth on Sunday afternoon, they had "run out of" copies. Okay, I'll go with that excuse. Late on Monday, I stopped by the Jones and Bartlet booth to see how things were going with my textbook. The reps looked tired, but mustered some enthusiasm for my book. Thankfully, I have another year before I need to worry about updating and next edition.

So, all seemed okay. A week after the conference, this newsletter went out. Seems that my textbook was in demand! Yes, getting a royalty check provides some reward for the effort. But, a even grater reward comes in the form of knowing that I managed to create something that is helpful and useful. A tiny contribution, I hope, to making for better world.

No comments: